Wow Wow and Wow....last weekend a group of us took a trip to Orinduk and Kaieteur Falls. The first stop was the smaller Orinduk falls where we were able to have a refreshing dip and massage under the falling waters. The trip is quite expensive as you have to charter a small plane but it was worth it. The plane for my liking was a little flimsy and I had a couple of unwanted thoughts in my head as we took off and flew over the dense rainforest..... or broccoli as I like to call it...one of the 'happy hannah thoughts' was that if we went down there is no way on earth we would ever be found..(!) the others were based around in general how to get out of the sardine can of a plane if we needed too! Anyway I obviously did survive the trip as I am writing this now, and when we were on the ground as I said it was definitely worth the slight fear which was experienced periodically!






I surprised myself with the photos I took (smug I know) but if you ask me the pictures are pretty good. Some are posted here for you to look at but there are others in my Picasa album online which you can access via the link on the right hand side of the page. Really there is little I can say that the pictures don't already convey so I will let the pictures do the talking...this time. For those of you who want to know a little more about the falls I have taken the liberty of plagiarising courteously of wikipedia (again!)...

Kaieteur Falls is a waterfall on the Potaro River in central Guyana. It is located in the Kaieteur National Park, a region that is also claimed by Venezuela. It is 226 meters (741 feet) when measured from its plunge over a sandstone cliff to the first break. It then flows over a series of steep cascades that, when included in the measurements, bring the total height to 251 meters (822 feet).

Some facts about Kaieteur Falls, Guyana

Location Kaieteur Gorge, Mazaruni-Potaro, Guyana
Coordinates 5°10′1.2000″N, 59°28′1.2000″W
Elevation 4380
Type Block
Total height 741 feet/253 meters
Height of longest drop 741 feet/226 meters
Average width 741 feet/113 meters
Average flow rate 23,400 cu ft/s or 663 m³/s
Watercourse Potaro River

World height ranking 122


So here ends the last post of 2007. I hope you all have a very very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.... I am off to Trinidad and Tobago for a holiday the day after my birthday (thank you to the money parcels that helped that happen) so I look forward to sharing some more stories on my return. Lots of Love to you all x Hannah

1 comment:

Jane said...

I rename you, daughter of mine, 'braveheart'! The trip looks amazing and I can appreciate it was well worth the scary moments. Just glad I didn't know about the details beforehand! The pictures are fab - if others have not yet looked at the slideshow - I can recommend it! Happy New Year to you and all your Guyanian buddies. JXXX