Well since my last post there has been a couple of things worth noting....America seemed to finally come to their senses and I got hit by a firework! Ok Ok so the first has slightly more international significance than the latter but still I think it deserved a mention...for those of you with the stomach pictures are available in the google online album (really not too bad!)...oh and I am now absolutely fine and most importantly my favourite jeans have since been replaced!

Back to the more important news....I was working in region #1, Mabaruma on the night of the elections...the lead up had obviously gone on for months and what with the influence of US TV I felt quite up to date and involved...on the night as I say we were in Brooms guesthouse, power usually goes off around 11pm but a generator kept the dream alive for those not already asleep. I have to admit to sneaking off to bed early but not before the race was already won in principle.....that said I still needed the morning news to prove that it had actually happened. The experience was probably all the better for sharing it in a country of Afro/Indo Guyanese and Amerindians. The significance of the event is something that will probably never be bettered in my lifetime.

Mabaruma was a great work trip. Michelle and I secured funding from VSO ABLE Guyana to spend a week with the rehabilitation assistants, we got to do lots of patient sessions with them and visit people in their home. It really was a worthwhile trip and motivating for both Michelle and I as well as the Rehabilitation Assistants involved. Below are pictures of some of the lovely children we met, the local hospital (I will never moan about the NHS again)and another Guyanese poster!




No comments: