After our week long trip in Lethem and several other activities, which coincided with the end of the financial year, the plan was to slow things down a bit…or at least have time to write my blog a little bit more frequently! Anyway needless to say we are now approaching the end of May…enough said.

Just to get it out of the way I have to mention that unfortunately the Speech and Language Therapist who came recently decided to return home...on the positive side I still get to put put on my CV that I was the "only SLT in Guyana!"...all being well another will come out in August and another shortly after to continue the work that others and I have been doing.

The main activities since we last spoke (you know what I mean) included having a group of medical students on placement in our department. This was a good (if not a little bit of a squashed..) opportunity to raise the profile of rehabilitation services with those who will be referring the patients of the future. As part of their placement they were also required to complete a research project. Following our suggestions they looked into the work we have been doing with children presenting with behaviours associated with Autistic Spectrum Disorders and also looking at how we have been working with them and their parents levels of satisfaction. The students came up with some really nice information that concluded that the service that we have been providing is fairly unique in Guyana and that the parents note that their children have made steady progress in their learning and communication skills (smile and tick!)

I made a trip to Suddie (region #2) and Linden (region# 10) and presented the newly developed assessment kits…..its fun and like being Santa, the departments have received the kits really well and are really motivated to use them to support their work in the field.

In April we had a really successful day with three of the rehabilitation assistants making resources….(those who know me well will know that this is my dream..) a day of cutting, laminating and sticking on small pieces of velcro to hundreds of bits of paper! The results were really rewarding, I think in the end we made around 10 fishing games, sentence boards, flash cards, puzzles and lotto boards and gross motor exercise mats…the resources will be used in the special schools in Georgetown and the fishing games will be going to each of the regions around the country.




We have already used the resources in the schools and they have been a big success with the kids.





The day was so successful that the next plan is to do a similar day with parents so that they can develop resources to use with their children at home.

Before you ask, it hasn’t been all work….Easter was all about the kite flying ( a big thing in this part of the world). We went for the home made version, got the frame and the tissue paper and got to work…unfortunately we had a black out during the blue peter bit of the activity so we actually made it in complete darkness, so I think we deserve an extra round of applause! Anyway we had a great day on the sea wall flying the kites and enjoying the fun with what seemed like most of the country.





At the end of April I completed one of two upgrade days in Speech and Language Therapy. I had six rehabilitation assistants and delivered training on adult neurology; we completed activities which looked to enhance their clinical skills in different conditions resulting from stroke. The second day is coming up next week and will focus on paediatric interventions.

Michelle, the rehabilitation assistants and I also completed some training with some of the teachers from one of the special schools. It was around this time that I realised that I was really really tired and needed a holiday….trying to convince my audience that punishment rarely works with children with learning disabilities failed (again) and really got to me, leaving me completely exhausted and defeated (again)…luckily I had my colleagues to laugh at me and tell me to chill a little and not to take it to heart…maybe a few more listened this time after all….(my less than professional head wanted to really shout in a slightly sarcastic way “if it works so bl**dy well then why are you still asking for our help!” …I resisted thankfully)




Anyway as luck would have it two weeks later Wayne and I were booked to take the week off and fly to Trinidad and Tobago. Trinidad was all about the shopping and Tobago was all about the sunshine and the swimming…it was just like I remembered it and was also just what the doctor ordered…of course it had to come to an end but it did the trick and we both returned to Guyana refreshed and ready…and with a wedding suit and some slippers!







I came back to the leavers forum on my first day back to Guyana. This is a workshop which is facilitated by VSO to support those who are getting ready to leave their placement (I know can you believe I am there already?) Anyway it was a really good day and opportunity to catch up with some friends and talk about what some of the challenges might be when we return home….I have to say I struggled to think about too many negatives….positives I was good at…on the list so far is washing machines, vacuum cleaners…oh and yes of course friends and family (love you!). You will also be pleased to know that we discussed the issue of the fact that people might not always want to listen to endless sentences that start with “in Guyana….” So don’t worry…my sentences will all start with “when Wayne and I got married in Barbados....!” Ha Ha…hopefully we will be able to reach a happy compromise.

Anyway now it is all about organising Rehab Week. We have several activities to plan, media and outreach activities and a professional summit (sounds impressive eh?) and a “night of elegance!”….anyway I will let you know how it goes next time. For now….x

No comments: