So it has again been more than a couple of weeks since I updated you all….oops. Anyway I am here now so I will try my best to fill you in. I have been pretty busy of late so I am sure to miss something out for which I apologise, but here is an overview.

Some of you are already aware that in the last few months there have been two shocking incidences here in Guyana involving the random shooting of a number of people. During the first of these incidences, in Lusignan, gunmen entered three homes and shot a number of children dead together with other family members. The second incident occurred a few weeks later in Bartica, and saw another 13 or so persons gunned down for no apparent reason, other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is believed that both attacks were orchestrated by a known criminal and his gang members; local people have varying opinions as to the reason for the attacks, drugs and other criminal activities rate highly, as they usually do, however the general consensus it that the bandits were just intent on causing fear and terror among the general population (which they have very successfully achieved in doing) and generally “proving a point” to the local police and armed services, who allegedly were involved in the disappearance of the gang leaders girlfriend; though the story behind this is a little hazy and inconsistent to say the least. The result of these events is that local Guyanese are understandably shaken; many believe that it is a huge step back in terms of the development of their society and country as a whole. Several international volunteer agencies have decided to move volunteers from their placements and regions and one other has sadly decided to pull all volunteers from Guyana all together. VSO have taken advice from the British High Commissioner, who following the events recommended that we take extra care and avoid busy areas, especially at night time. However, they maintained the position that these were random events and that we are not at significant or any specific risk as volunteers from overseas.

*********************************************************************

Republic day/Mashramani was on the 23rd February. Sadly, because of what happened, the celebrations were on a much smaller scale. Many people did not want to go out and as a result the celebrations (street carnival) were more low key than normal. We decided to join in with the celebrations that were happening, and although the locals were clearly disappointed at the extent of the celebrations compared to previous years, we all had a great day and saw some amazing sites and costumes. The day was topped off by a group of us crowded round Camilla’s television, watching the 20/20 cricket; Guyana V Jamaica. Unfortunately Guyana lost by just one run but the game was great to watch and was a great finish to the day. I should have also said that just before the Mash celebrations, several new volunteers arrived in Guyana. Lucia, who is living with Camilla and working with two blind organisations, Michelle (the new Occupational Therapist), and Trudy and Derek, who are both teachers and who have now gone down to live in Bartica. Michelle and Lucia are both staying in Georgetown and it is great to have some new folk to get to know and share the experiences of working and living in Guyana with.




*********************************************************************

Last week I went to Region 5/6; a region called Berbice. Together with another volunteer, Nicolette, we completed two workshops, one for teachers at the special school and one to parents of children with disabilities who lived locally. The workshops seemed to be well received and it was a good opportunity to get out of Georgetown for a little while and visit with two other volunteers, Cheryl and Janis, living in Corriveton, Berbice.




*********************************************************************

Sadly the weather here has been less than great, this morning for example I woke up at 6.30 to hear torrential rain, which basically 12 hours later is still going! Not so torrential at times but has even so been going ALL day! In terms of fashion stakes I am definitely up there with the best with my long boots, cagoule and saturated clothing! The other thing that is not so good about the weather is that the mosquitoes appear to be multiplying at a rate that even the best repellent struggles to keep up with. Every time I think that I am getting acclimatised to the heat and the biting they come back and get me better than before!

The noise nuisance is still a noise nuisance, the next load of chicks have moved in next door and the dogs still howl. My landlady, who is building another house in front of mine has also loaned the space to a group of guys who spend several evenings a week spraying cars (we are assuming that this is all above board, but hey you never know!)….the smell is annoying at best but I am hoping that this is only a short term arrangement so I am trying not to get to upset about it. As well as the dogs I am also please to introduce a new contestant for the title of noise nuisance –er of the year…..a neighbour who dearly loves her Christian rock CD, which wouldn’t be so bad if she didn’t play it at 6.30 in the morning and maybe slightly more tolerable if she didn’t sing along to it….and believe me this woman has not one tuneful bone in her body….arghhhhh. Fortunately till now it is so awful that I just end up laughing… but I would obviously prefer it if her CD was maybe accidentally mislaid at some point so that I could go back to my main focus of blocking out the barking dogs (which I am getting better at by the hour) on those early Saturday and Sunday mornings!

*********************************************************************

In the Speech Clinic you will be pleased to hear that I am slowly getting my way in terms of organisation and tidying! I didn’t want to go in too strong at the beginning but now I feel I can start to put my own stamp on things. I found a couple of new organisers (from our local Avon representative!) and we have now put these up on the wall to provide a more visually appealing department….I am of course very very happy with the new look and plan very much along with the Rehabilitation Assistant to continue along these lines!




*********************************************************************

Coming up over Easter is a trip to Lethum, for Rodeo. It falls over the long holiday weekend so it means a five day break without having to take any annual leave, which is a bonus. There are on last count about 8 of us going down by minibus over night. We have also arranged a nice breakfast at the other end and a walk around one of the eco sites, which should be great; I plan also to go riding if I can in the Savannah. Rodeo I am told is also great fun so we are all really looking forward to it…..so next time I log in I will be sure to tell you all about it. Till then…..

Love to everyone, and thanks to those of you who are still reading!

3 comments:

L.Dan said...

Yo Yo Hannah. I am loving the blogs all sounds wicked. How do I get in the Amsterdam school it sounds to good to be true!!!!

Keep trucking girl.

L.Dan xx

hulag said...

Wow! You have a very interesting blog! I am happy to visit it.

Unknown said...

Dear Hannah
Very impressive work done by you,Hannah. Really I am so excited after browsing this blog and wondering how you managed all this. Honestly, I lack words to express my happiness. Very beautiful, fantastic job, very well organized text, whole of Guyana has been reviewed in pictures and text,great source of inspiration for others.My heart felt Congratulations! to you for producing a long lasting impact of your contributions in Guyana and VSO, as well. Hope to meeting you in Guyana, soon.
Dr Jora S. Brar
Entomologist,
Guelph, ON, Canada